City of Upper Arlington, Ohio

Carbon Monoxide

The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home.  If you are installing only one CO detector, they recommend placing it near sleeping areas where it will awaken you if you are sleeping.

The Fire Division responds to both emergency (detector alarming and people ill with flu-like symptoms) and non-emergency (detector alarming and won't reset) situations, and uses advanced instrumentation to check a building's atmosphere for carbon monoxide.

REMEMBER: Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless, and colorless. It is impossible for you to detect on your own.

Common sources of carbon monoxide in the home are improperly vented gas-fired automobiles, furnaces, hot water tanks, appliances, generators and fireplaces.

If you have any doubt about the safety of those in your home, call 9-1-1 immediately. For non-emergent situations, call the police and fire dispatcher at 614-583-5410.